top of page

CA COVID‐19 Rent Relief Now Available

Updated: Jul 13, 2021

Relief is available NOW for eligible households who need financial assistance for unpaid rent and utilities. UPDATE: Tenants and landlords can now get 100% of their unpaid or upcoming rent paid through this program. Apply now at!

Eligible households:

Have experienced financial hardship because of COVID‐19

  • Have past due rent or utility bills

  • Have a household income under 80% of the area median income

Verify your eligibility at or by calling 1-833‐430‐2122. Help is available for:

  • Rent Debt

  • Future Rent

  • Utility Debt

  • Future Utility Bills

How does it work? If you are a landlord, you can apply directly to be reimbursed for 80% of your eligible renters’ unpaid rent from April 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021, if you agree to waive the remaining 20%. If you are a renter, you can apply directly to receive 25% of your unpaid rent from April 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021, even if your landlord doesn’t participate. You can also receive assistance for future rent equal to 25% of your monthly rent. Renters can also get 100% of past due utility payments from April 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021, as well as up to 12 months of future utility bills.

Documentation needed: Renters must provide documentation of COVID-19 related financial hardship, such as a recent pay stub, job termination notice, unemployment assistance, etc. Landlords must provide verification of residence ownership and rent owed. More information here. Once an application has been processed, both the landlord and renter will be notified about the application status and next steps. Need help with your application?

Many local organizations can provide support on the application process: Los Angeles County

  • Alliance of Californians for Community Empowerment Institute, (888) 428-7615

  • City of Bell Gardens, (562) 806-7654

  • The Community Action League, (661) 888-3856

  • Stay Housed LA County, 1-888-694-0040

  • Koreatown Immigrant Workers Alliance, (213) 738-9050

  • PF Bresee Foundation, (213) 387-2822

  • United American Indian Involvement, (213) 804-3405

Ventura County

  • Mixteco Indigena Community Organizing Project, (805) 850-8327

For more information on California's rental assistance program AND protections for tenants who cannot pay rent due to COVID-19, visit or call 1-833‐430‐2122.

2,861 views2 comments


Unknown member
Jun 14, 2022

As long as there's an agreement weather is verbal or written, it's legal and if necessary


Unknown member
Apr 20, 2021

Need somebody to tell me what kind of Rights I have I don't pay rent I don't pay utilities I get a life stay here the old owner before he passed told the new owner and his wife and a caretaker that Robert gets to stay that was part of the deal now three and a half years later he's disrespecting with the old owner wanted but he's disrespected a lot of things that the old owner wanted the old owner didn't want anything to change he agreed upon it and he has done nothing but change things

bottom of page