Eviction Resources

Got an eviction notice?

Eviction is a legal process. Tenants have rights, but must act fast.


A notice from a landlord is not an eviction; it is a warning that the landlord is required to give before filing an eviction in court. Receiving a notice means an eviction may be coming soon, and the tenant should act immediately.

When an eviction is filed, the court will mail the tenant a notice of an "Unlawful Detainer" (click to see a sample).Tenants have five (5) business days to respond. Responding to the Unlawful Detainer is the first step in defending against the eviction, and not responding allows the case to go ahead without the tenant's say.

Find a complete, step-by-step guide to the eviction process here. Below, find resources to help respond to an eviction.

Legal Aid

Stay Housed LA

Stay Housed LA provides free or low-cost legal aid in eviction cases. Visit www.stayhousedla.org or call 1-888-694-0040 as soon as you receive a notice (warning) from the landlord. Stay Housed is currently only accepting cases from the City of Los Angeles and unincorporated communities of Los Angeles County.

Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 2.12.15 PM.png

Responding to an Eviction

Tenants have only five (5) business days to respond to an Unlawful Detainer, and may not be able to connect with legal aid before the response is due. Below are resources and guides on how to respond yourself.

Tenant Power Toolkit

The Tenant Power Toolkit is a free online tool that helps California tenants respond to an Unlawful Detainer (eviction). It is a collaborative effort by The Debt CollectiveThe LA Tenants UnionThe Anti-Eviction Mapping Project, anti-eviction lawyers, and legal service providers. This video by WIRE Associates shows how to use it.

California Court Self-Help Centers

The California courts offer guidance and assistance in filling out legal forms. Find your local Self-Help Center here, and use the guides below to understand eviction documents.

Understanding the Unlawful Detainer complaint

Guide to responding with an Answer form

Sample Answer form

Video: How to Complete Your Unlawful Detainer Answer

This tutorial by the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) goes over how to respond to an Unlawful Detainer (eviction) without an attorney.

Video: How to Complete Your Fee Waiver

There is a fee to file paperwork in court, but low-income tenants can apply to waive the fee when responding to an eviction. This tutorial by the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) goes over how to request a fee waiver.