Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention

Friday, October 12, 2012

 In May 2010, CA Senate Bill 183, also known as the Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act, was signed into law to help protect people from carbon monoxide poisoning.

As of July 1, 2011, all single-family homes with an attached garage or a fossil fuel source (wood, gas, oil) must install carbon monoxide alarms in their home.

As of January 1, 2013 all multi-family leased or rental dwellings, such as apartment buildings, mustbe equipped with a carbon monoxide alarm.

The devices should be installed outside of each sleeping area, including the basement.
Tenants are responsible for notifying the owner or the owner’s agent if the carbon monoxide alarm becomes inoperable within the unit. The owner or owner’s agent must correct any reported deficiencies in the carbon monoxide alarm in a timely manner.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas that is produced from heaters, furnaces, fireplaces, gas stoves, and certain types of appliances/cooking devices.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is the leading cause of accidental death in the United States. It accounts for an estimated 700 emergency room visits in California each year. 

Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause severe and chronic brain, lung and heart injuries and even death.  

Symptoms commonly associated with carbon monoxide poisoning include dizziness, nausea, headaches and sudden tiredness.

California law states that anyone who does not comply with the law may face a $200 fine.